Ecommerce is one of the most competitive businesses in the world. To make it profitable and stay ahead of your competition, you need well planned ecommerce SEO strategy. You need to know those SEO tips that fit your business, the kind of industry you serve, target audience, products, services and more. Here are the top 10 SEO tips for eCommerce websites:
- The structure of your site is the foundation for your SEO strategy. The user could be easily confused or put off and bounce immediately if your site is without a user-friendly structure. The user should get the necessary info they expected when they click on your link. Improve the structure of your site to give a better experience to your customers. Your eCommerce store needs to be on HTTPS as it protects the information of the customers. It helps to improve your SEO strategy and is even trusted by Google.
- Ecommerce businesses used to do some shady practices to shortcut their ways to get high rankings on different search engines like Google, Bing & Yahoo, but nowadays search engines are doing a great job weeding out anyone attempting to game the system by using those “black hat” tactics. But killing the value of link farms and keyword stuffing is not killing SEO. Your website is more under the microscope than ever, and it is now a combination of things that will help you rank.
- Never use descriptions found elsewhere online but write exclusive product descriptions. You have to write useful, descriptive copy that is all your own rather than writing something generic for your items or using what the manufacturer has provided. The best way to convince shoppers to buy your products is by having an awesome product description.
- Don’t overstuff keywords. The description of your product should include the main keywords but don’t insert them where they don’t belong. The bottom of the page should definitely not contain a list of keywords. There should be one keyword and the product name in your product page titles and URL and it will help the customers to get the specific product using branded search or the general category using generic search. A descriptive product name will improve your click-through rate and will help you to be prominent in search results.
- Your product content should match your headline. Google will blacklist you if you promise one thing with your page title and headline (H1), and then deliver another. You don’t want to be seen as making users click your search results which is the reason your content should be lined up with your titles and headlines.
- You have to feature product reviews. A great way to add new content to your product pages frequently is through reviews. You will get some keyword love organically as the keywords related to your product will be featured by most reviews. A proven way to increase shopper trust is through reviews and it can improve your sales by 18%.
- Board the blog train. One of the best things you can do for your business is frequently writing relevant and beneficial content on a blog. Your site will get a steady flow of fresh content related to your business which will improve your SEO. Increasing shopper trust will improve sales. You can blog about new items you have to offer, the usage of existing products, tips for getting the most out of what you sell, industry trends, etc.
- Your product pages can have videos as well. It is 53 times more likely that your page will get a front-page Google result if there is a video featured in it. Since people like watching videos, therefore it is 41% more possible for someone to click through, and up to 85% more likely that they’ll buy.
- For e-commerce SEO, page speed is important. There is a dramatic increase in your bounce rate with the increase in page load times. Keep mobile into consideration as it will account for 50% of the digital e-commerce revenue. So optimize your site for mobile. To boost rankings and traffic you have to begin high-quality backlinks before your peak season. In order to increase your CTR on organic search, you need to write more convincing meta-descriptions. This will not help to increase your rankings directly but increasing your CTR can help.
- Adding ALT tags to all of your images will improve SEO by allowing bots to scan the ALT text and will also help blind and visually-impaired people understand your images. Category-based pages (like separate for Men or Women) can be treated as individual homepages with their own keywords and content. Focus on optimizing all the important category pages. These pages should be high traffic generators for the website.
Conclusion: You have to continuously monitor and analyse the results and it is true for any SEO strategy and it becomes even more essential for ecommerce websites because of the scale and constant changing of products. Identify broken links and error pages, analyse what is and is not working, keep a note of popular keywords and pages and address those not doing well for organic search. It is always worth to engage in some A/B testing be it for keywords, product description formats or images. SEO for large ecommerce sites is time-consuming due to which many ecommerce sites don’t possess the level of optimization they should. It offers an incredible chance for those who are ready to put in the grind as the small incremental changes can make a big difference.